Home
 


 
General Joseph McCluer was one of the first pioneers in what we know today as Cattaraugus County, New York. He was born in Belchertown, Worcester County, Massachusetts. He trained as a doctor, but decided to become an agent and surveyor for the Holland Land Company.
 
  During 1805 while surveying, he built a log cabin on present day Elm Street. In 1806 he moved his family, along with 5 other families to the Ischua Valley. They all lived in the log cabin while building their own homes. It was here that he established McCluer's Settlement, now known as Franklinville, NY.
 
  In the act of March 11, 1808, it was specified that the first town-meeting should be held at the house of Joseph McCluer. He served as a Captain in the War of 1812. He represented the counties of Cattaraugus, Chautauqua and Niagara in the Assembly of 1814-1815. He was appointed the first postmaster and served as such from 1816 until 1833. He served as County Clerk in 1821, and was a General in the State militia.
 
  He died 11 Sep 1833 and was buried in the family cemetery near his home. During the summer of 1878, the family remains were moved to the Mount Prospect Cemetery.
 
   
Compiled from several historical resources.
  Franklinville was chosen for the route taken by the Old Chautauqua Road in the early 1800s. Thousands of settlers passed through the Village and Town taking Bryant Hill Road and moving westward. Inns and taverns quickly appeared to accommodate the travelers. Many of these pioneers chose to stay and make Franklinville their home.
 
  Farming, dairying and cheese factories became the first industries. Later mills, factories and stores appeared. Ontario Knife Factory located to Franklinville, and for more than one hundred years has provided employment for area residents.
 
  Farms producing produce and milk are giving way to horse farms. Franklinville is the home to the Miner’s Cabin, a Queen Anne Victorian mansion and museum, as well as the Howe-Prescott Pioneer House located in the hamlet of Cadiz. The Main Street is graced by century-old homes and the Park Square, which date back to the 1820s. The Village has over two hundred century-old homes. The brick buildings that surround the Square date back to about 1880.
 
  The Town is home to The Triple R Campground, one of the largest in Western New York. Trout fishermen from all over the world fish at Ischua Creek and Case Lake. Snowmobile, hiking and horse trails cover large areas.
 
  Recreational homes, hunting camps, and retirement havens can be found throughout the area. The proximity of Ellicottville and the Holiday Valley Ski Resort are proving to make Franklinville an attractive area for relocation.
 
   
From an article by Maggie Fredrickson, Village of Franklinville Historian and Bruce Fredrickson, Town of Franklinville Historian.

P.O. Box 153, Franklinville, NY  14737
info@ischuavalleyhistoricalsociety.org

Review Our Business at 2findLocal.com