Home
 

 
     
  Early settlers arrived in this area between 1812 and 1823. Originally known as Rice, it was renamed Ischua on March 27, 1855. The first public house was built in 1816 and other hotels followed. Industries included a hat factory, a brick yard, a foundry for plows, sleigh shoes and castings, a tannery, and wagon maker. There was a basket factory in the early 1900s.
 
  Cheese factories abounded, as well as a creamery. At one time there were numbers of farms, but now they are mainly horse farms. Today, it is basically a bedroom community and it is hard to imagine that this was once a bustling, booming rural community.
 
  The Main Street is located on Route 16 and travelers passing through can see the one-room schoolhouse and the remaining large Victorian homes that have been spared by fires and demolition by the State of New York as it straightened Route 16 through Ischua. Sadly many of the trees that graced the town were removed.  
   
From an article by Rose Edwards De Cordova, Ischua Historian
     
  There is a book entitled, The History of Ischua, N.Y., Ferguson Printing, 1994 - Compiled by: Sally Squire Pettengill - 289 pages.
 
  Also see History of Cattaraugus County, New York - Town of Ischua.
 

P.O. Box 153, Franklinville, NY  14737
info@ischuavalleyhistoricalsociety.org