The first settlers
in Lyndon were the Rawson brothers who arrived there in 1808 from Pennsylvania.
They were followed by the Markhams and for a number of years these
two families were the only inhabitants. It wasn’t until 1821
that more settlers arrived. Many were Scottish immigrants and New England
Farming and dairying
were the major occupations and cheese factories soon appeared in the
A Free Will Baptist
Church was formed in 1816 and a church was built in 1839. It is still
in operation today and has the only cemetery in Lyndon.
A general store,
blacksmith shop and public house were located at Lyndon Centre and
education was provided in a schoolhouse that was built east of the
Centre. For a short period of time this town was called Elgin.
Today Lyndon is
a “bedroom town” since most residents work away or are
retired. Some Amish have settled there and the area is popular for
hunters and people seeking vacation homes.
From an article
by Syd Emmons, Town of Lyndon Historian